My Reading Goals for 2020
2020 Goodreads Reading Challenge
I have pledged 52 books for the 2020 Goodreads Reading Challenge. Given reading rates in December 2019 and currently all I need to do is maintain my current reading at about half pace to meet this goal. I’m really hoping I meet this one with flying colors and I can say that 2019 was the start of my new reading addiction!
Reading Challenges for 2020
- 24-hour Reading Challenges – I heard about these when exploring BookTube (book related channels on YouTube) which are challenges where you do nothing but read for 24-hours. I will do at least two myself for fun and join in on at least one on BookTube. I attempted one already, but ended up with only a 12-hours challenge (more to come on that).
- In-Person Book Club – I will join an in-person book club to discuss books and make new friends. I already have found a Personal Growth bookclub with a quarterly book and quarterly in-person meetings at some really fun bookstores and locations around town. I found this on MeetUp.
- Read-A-Thons – I will join one read-a-thon this year, which is when you join with others to read a list of books or books with certain criteria. Caz of Little Book Owl has created a tremendous resource calendar for 2020 Readathons.
- New Experiences – I will explore new places to read because currently I only read in my home or listen to audio books in my car or while exercising. I will continue to read while in my car, skating, walking or hiking but I will add reading at the beach, parks, my apartment’s pool area, and at coffee shops.
- Depth-Year/No Buy – This year I have pledged a depth year and a no-buy with my own rules; I had a budget to only spend $120.00 on books (my only spending budget) which, of course, I’ve already spent. So for the rest of the year I will be reading the unread books, ebooks, and audiobooks I currently have and use the library for anything else. I have a very large collection of unread books so this really should not be an issue theoretically (emotionally is a different thing).
2020 Reading Goals by Genre
General Reading Goals for 2020
- Read More – I will read more books! I have a goal of reading one book per week.
- Reading Journal – I will keep up with a reading journal for better comprehension, recall, and reviews.
- Book Reviews – I will continue doing reviews of the books I read here and on Goodreads.
- New Genres – I will expand to different genres. I don’t have any specific plan here yet, I will have to give this more thought and create a TBR.
- Education – In 2020 I will learn new things and further my current skills. I will continue to learn about cooking, divination, witchcraft, the Moon and stitch crafts like crochet, knitting, cross-stitch, or embroidery. I will also delve into new subjects such as off-grid topics, minimalism, and modern feminism.
2020 To Be Read (TBR)
Goodreads 2020 TBR Shelf
I created my Goodreads 2020 to be read shelf at the end of 2019 and found it really hard to decide which books to read next. So I gave myself a little bit of choice by putting 76 books on the list, of which I expect to read 52. I set the list up to roughly match the “2020 Reading Goals by Genre” percentages I outlined above to help me meet that goal.
My Continued Book Series for 2020
- The Cassidy Blake Series #3 – Bridge of Souls by Victoria Schwab, scheduled to release September 2020.
- The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina #2 – Daughter of Chaos by Sarah Rees Brennan was released December 2019 and I already purchased this one and have it in my personal library.
- The School For Psychics Series #2 – The Astral Traveler’s Daughter by K.C. Archer was released April 2019 which I missed. I already have this checked out from the library.
- the things that h(a)unt #1 – To Make Monsters Out of Girls by Amanda Lovelace was released September 2018 but I didn’t know of it’s existence until doing my review of To Drink Coffee with a Ghost on Goodreads.
- The Worst Witch #2 – The Worst Witch Strikes Again by Jill Murphy was released in 1982 but I read the first book, The Worst Witch, last year and enjoyed it. I will have to get this one from the library. There are a total of eight books in The Worst Witch series.
My Top 5 Anticipated Reads of 2020
- The Girl Who Could Move Sh*t with Her Mind by Jackson Ford – Book 1 of The Frost Files, this is a science-fiction, mystery, young-adult novel.
- Basic Witches: How to Summon Success, Banish Drama, and Raise Hell with Your Coven
by Jaya Saxena and Jess Zimmerman – A book about witchcraft and feminism from a different perspective.
- Dancing With Elephants by Kalyn Nicholson – A book of poetry from my all-time favorite YouTuber.
- HausMagick: Transform Your Home with Witchcraft by Erica Feldmann – A book about transforming your home with witchcraft.
- You Are a Badass at Making Money: Master the Mindset of Wealth by Jen Sincero – A book about reaching your financial goals.
2020 Reading Goals and TBR Conclusion
I’m really happy with these goals and I know they are more than doable. I’m looking forward to my 2020 year in books! What are your 2020 reading goals?